Sunday, November 2, 2008

November's Book: THE SHACK, by William P. Young

It's all in the title of the post... until Spence responds back to start the discussion on Coraline... we'll be reading "The Shack, by William P Young" (at least that's the book for November) and here's why.

It was a recommend by two people I adore:

#1 This amazing gay guy that I work with that wanted to be a minister like 30 years ago and went to theology school.. until he realized it (being a Christian Minister) was going to be a hard-sell with his sexual preference ... he's currently exploring Buddhism. He also worked in radio and owns property in Hawaii. 

#2 One of my best friends from Indiana Wesleyan University (a private protestant school)... she's an evangelical "born again" ... but was singing it's praises. She also told me the other day that in no uncertain terms "I don't think you're going to hell for being a mormon" so she can be trusted." ;)

Also, it's a NYT Best Seller... not that that means anything, but I thought it would be worth checking out.

So read on, my friends....


PS. My Dad said Coraline was too creepy for my mom to read... I said it's a good read for October, so maybe next year Mama Suite will check it out.  Cic, Dad said it's got the same feeling as "Nightmare before Christmas," which Mom didn;t like, but apparently you love...  

1 comment:

Cicely said...

Interesting take, Dad. Although I did find the book creepy, I didn't have one nightmare about it. I wonder if that is why. I guess it could be sort of Nightmare Before Christmas-ish. But, one of the reasons I love that movie is because Danny Elfman does the music. I could see him doing the music for Coraline the movie, but I can't hear it in my head. Plus, all the random questions in NBC were answered. How about the obvious: why button eyes?

So, The Shack, huh. I'll look into it. We will see if the Erie County Library has this one in "graphic novel" as well.

So, is Mom joining us now? Have you asked Celeste or Cassandra? Do we want to involve more people? Should I post it on my blog? Or is this more of an intimate Book Club?