Monday, November 3, 2008

My Thoughts On Coraline

Stardate 11-03-2008

First I must apologize for my absence. I need to be more vigilant at checking out our book club blog. Next let me clear up some issues (though it appears that you've already done that). Coraline was originally written as a young adult novel. That's the one that Sabrina and I read. Because of its sheer awesomeness, it was then converted into a graphic novel. I'm sure they turned up the creepiness for the Graphic Novel. I would love to read the graphic novel. The next media medium on the list for Coraline is a stop action claymation movie. I think the same people who did Nightmare Before Christmas and such are also doing Coraline. I also read that they are making it into a musical/play. Lets hope it makes it way to Shakespeare Festival in a few years.

This was my first time reading Coraline. I can't wait until Owen and Eli are old enough for me to read it to them. I thought the story was great and I loved the drawings that accompanied each chapter. I thought the story did an excellent job of playing on very deep fears that children have. The foremost of course are having our parents stolen from us and being kidnapped. Pretty freaky stuff for children to deal with. I once had a dream when I was probably 15 years old where President Hinckly told me that I had had enough time to live my my parents and that he had to take them away from me and that it was time for me to go to different parents. I remember waking up in tears. Yeah, I'm awesome.

I loved how brave Coraline was. Though she was terrified, she still saved her parents and the other kids that the Other Mother had stolen.

I still can't figure out the symbolism with the button eyes. Maybe its not supposed to be symbolic, just freaky. Any thoughts?

The Other Mother was referred to as "the Beldam." I looked up Beldam online. Here is the definition:
1. An old woman, especially one who is considered ugly.

Yay for me for picking this awesome book. Where do we go from here? Is there any more discussion involved?

Check this out. Its a short clip from the movie.

1 comment:

Spencer Davis said...

One further comment. Cicely, did you not notice under the title of the graphic novel that you read where it says something like this, "The Graphic Novel adaptation of the National Best Seller."

Maybe you shouldn't be so hard on the Erie Library System.