Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Juicy.

So, I just read the part in Chapter Five where Lizzy promises her company never to dance with Mr. Darcy! Oh! I love this book!

I find it so interesting that just after Lizzy makes that promise Charlotte chimes in with this- "His pride does not offend me as pride often does, because there is an excuse for it." And that excuse is that he is rich. In those days, where marrying for money rather than love was not only accepted but encouraged, is it okay to agree with Charlotte? Is it okay to agree with her now or have times changed our view of what's important?

I, for example, am proud of my husband and my son. I have heard recently that to be proud is sinful, but I think of my pride for my family as a part of my love for them. I don't feel bad about it.

Any thoughts?

-Cicely the sinner

P.s. I also love Mary's quote about the subject at the end of the chapter. She says pride is a form of vanity, but I think that Mary secretly thinks higher of herself than those around her.

5 comments:

Sabrena Suite-Mangum said...

Pride (the evil kind) means thinking you are better than someone else...

So if you are proud of Miles for signing because you take joy in his happiness; that is one thing... if you are proud of Miles because you think you and your son are better than everyone else because he signs, then you're pretty much going to hell.

Cicely said...

Well, I guess I won't need a jacket.

jk. I don't think we are better than anyone. We are just trying to be good versions of ourselves. I think.

What About Mr. Darcy? Is he going to to hell? I think in the beginning of the book he is- and then things change. Am I reading him wrong?

3703 said...

let me know when you get to Ch. 7, they are just two of the silliest girls, I dare say.

Oooh, but the letter from Mr. Bingley and Jane riding horseback to stay overnight, quite crafty.

I am just loving this book.

3703 said...

It looks like this book club blog is really taking off. What's on the docket for next years book?

Rachael said...

Hello everyone.
I would like to join the ranks. My name is Rachael. Can anyone join this book club blog? It's a great idea.

Oh, I love Mr Darcy. Great book choice.

Are any of you on Goodreads.com?

What book is next?

oh, my email is rachymaree@gmail.com